Wednesday 18 May 2011

First week at my new placement!

So I started my Care project this week - AWESOME! I really love it! The kids are adorable - as expected! I actually feel really needed at this project too. Most of them come from broken homes. Their parents are either all drug addicts or alcoholics and most can´t even hold a job. I usually have about 6-10 each day and they all always have sooo much energy. They aren´t very well-behaved, but its understandable considering their home-life. Its soo heartbreaking to see, but I´m hoping I can make a difference with manners and hitting etc.

The day care is out of a lady´s home. She´s SO nice! She bathes the kids that show up in the same clothes as the day before, and washes their clothes for them. Since most don´t get fed much, she also makes lunch for them everyday and provides snacks. I get lunch too! Which is awesome because it´s about a 20min bike ride each day and it means I don´t have to bike home for lunch. (I know, me riding 20min there and back each day on a bike? fml.) The care itself is actually really exhausting because there are noo supplies at the lady´s house. I literally have to try and entertain the kids the whole time. And with the heat and their energy, I´m usually a zombie biking home. The office supplies toys and craft stuff whenever we ask for it, it just sucks because the kids destroy everything within a couple of days. But this morning I made a huge list of things for the office to get anyways. Hopefully they will last until I leave and someone else comes to the project, haha!

I work solid hours at the placement too. Monday-Friday, 8am-1pm. That´s a full day in Costa usually. But at least care doesn´t get cancelled, which I really like. (Seems weird that school gets cancelled here so often...)

I also spoke to my supervisor of my teaching placement today and I´m going to go back to the school one day next week before my care placement so that I can give them the books I have and take some pictures! So I´m super happy about that! I was soo disappointed when I thought I wasn´t going to be able to go back!



Still unsure of my plans for this weekend. It´s a lot of people´s last weekends so everyone wants to go different places. The weather isnt supposed to be amazing this weekend anywhere in Costa Rice too. So thats a bummer.

Shelley and I have planned our week of travels! I think Amy (my housemate) is going to come with us! She´s here for 4 months so she can take her vacation time whenever. And she wants to come before the rainy season really kicks in! I think we´re starting in Montezuma, heading to Manuel Antonio, and the to Puerto Veijo for a few days! Should be amazingggg!!

Really missing everyone from home right now though! Especially on May 2-4. Costa Rica is still a better option...but missing May 2-4 in Muskoka is sorta sad.

Anyways! I´ll blog again after this weekend!

Love and miss you all!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment